Friday, August 24, 2012

How to Participate in Seminar


As we embark on on journey this semester, I realize that some of you are new to taking graduate seminar courses. I thought it would be helpful to direct you to some resources that can orient you to this kind of academic process.

Click on the links below to get some advice on how to prepare for and participate in seminars:

How to be a Good Seminar Participant

Succeeding in a Graduate Seminar

For each class meeting, prepare some points or questions that you would like to discuss. Take good notes on the text so that you can refer your fellow seminar participants to the specific passages you are looking at. If you are unsure about where to begin, try these as prompts:
  • I’d like to talk with people about…
  • I’m confused about…
  • This author's ideas about ____ seem connected to our reading about ________, because...
  • The author says they are going to show/argue __________. Here is where I think s/he is successful. Here is where I think there are weaknesses.
  • This idea in the text is really useful to me because.....
  • I have questions about…
  • What does it mean when the author says…
These are just a few ideas, and the possibilities for what you can contribute are endless. Just remember: what you get out of your seminars is directly linked to the kind of effort you put into preparing and actively participating. And if you have any questions or concerns, please come and see me anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment