Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I found the readings, "Colliding Histories" and " Heteropatriarchy and the Three Pillars of White Supremacy" relative, intriquing, and interesting. While all the readings have the common thread of settler colonialism in them, I found the two mentioned above the most informative. While there are the obvious hiearchy of color schematics applicable to Hawai`i's history of colonialism and settler colonialism, of the three pillars of white supremacy, I find the logics of genocide and orientalism connected to the present day issues of settler colonialism and kanaka `oiwi. The colonial project of statehood of Hawai`i shows the obvious tactics employed by the elitist in terms of the use of monopolized media in Hawai`i, which they controlled, and the coralling of the Asian settler as a nationalistic symbol of assimilation to the near degree ot total erasure of the kanaka `oiwi. As military/heroic totems, the Asian settler used the statehood project as a means for further assimlation,enlarging their own political land and economic base, opportunity, land grabs, and all benefits by  carefully calculated complicity. All this, while the `oiwi voice was subdued and marginalized, with the exception of a few like Kamokila Campbell. Here, the historical unionizing  history plays a most important part in the re-storying of Hawai`i's landscape, in particular and primarily Japanese.
     As Smith points out, Japanese as "civilization" is still threatening, but the imperial project will use the settler as the assimilating image of what can happen when you become a state. The corporate, political, and economic gain will be substantial and necessary to the capitalization of Hawai`i (a tourist and military mecca) and ongoing foundation to capitalism and expansion of the frontier, and the settlers have been beneficiaries simply because they are good settlers.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Kameha'ikū.

    Mahalo for your blog. I really admire how you was able to say so much within three paragraphs. Although I also wrote about the same article, I left sections, such as what Smithʻs "The Three Pillars of White Supremacy" logic of oppression: labor exploitation, genocide or settler colonialism, and orientalism or war, out. LoL, now that Iʻm responding to you, I see how I could have squeezed her in there somewhere in my conclusion. But, back to you, I love it how you were ale to sum it all up, as I said, within three paragraphs! āiwaiwa nohoʻi

    ReplyDelete