Part II, Soverignty: The Hawai‘i Context. Kūpa‘a ‘āina: Native Hawaiian Nationalism in
Hawai‘i.
Dr. Trask argues that with the overthrow of the
monarchy and subsequent annexation through usurpation, we witnessed, as Natives,
the sociopolitical domination by haole aristocracy – formerly known then
(and perhaps now) as the Republican Party.
Eventually, “politically astute and educated Hawaiians” come to support
the Democratic Party of opposition and argue for statehood – so that they could
go on to capture the Governor’s Office. (As
a territory, the governor was appointed by the president of the United States) However, kūpa‘a ‘āina means “steadfast to the
land,” and Trask criticizes the Democrat-controlled State for the flagrant
mismanagement of both Hawaiian trust and ceded lands; giving rise to a post-plantation
increase in concentrated land ownership.
Trask argues that as a result of concentrated land
ownership, large aristocratic landlords inflated the price of land and
successfully capitalized on the haole/Japanese frenzy for commercial and urban
development. This, I believe, drove the
monetary standard of living in Hawai‘i to such high levels that, the many
Hawaiians who could no longer afford the overinflated standard were simply
forced to either move to the mainland, or as she put it, into small, rural, “economically
exploited and culturally suppressed” Hawaiian communities. To be sure, I live at home in Wai‘anae while
I attend school in Mānoa; in other words, I spend about three hours a day in
traffic simply because I cannot afford the standard of living in town. Therefore, Trask’s criticism of concentrated
land ownership as a causal influence of Hawaiian displacement is successful because
it appeals to me on an empirical level.
Even more than large aristocratic landlords, Trask
criticizes the federal government; namely, the United States military, and the
State (for example, OHA) for the continued abuse of Native trust lands. The numbers found in her essay are
particularly disturbing, especially when “By 1998, all applications for
pastoral and residential lots on the islands of O‘ahu, Maui, Hawai‘i, Kaua‘i,
and Moloka‘i totaled over 29,000 [acres] …while illegal and other non-Native
uses existed on more than 130,000 acres of trust lands” (68). This pisses me off because my mother has been
on the list since the 80s, as I watch ‘ohana and friends pass away while waiting
patiently wait for their “entitlement.”
Thus, I agree with Trask in that both the federal government and the
state government have failed miserably in properly managing Native lands
according to trust.
It is clear to me, then, that any entity outside the
collective Native conscious will probably abuse the trusts for their own
prerogatives, resulting in the continued disposition of Natives. This is why I agree with Dr.
Trask in that Hawaiians need a land base from which the idea of self-governance
can become a reality. A federally
recognized “nation-to-nation” status would allow for the possibility of the “restoration
of traditional lands, natural resources, ocean and energy resources…including
Hawaiian home lands, the ceded lands, and federally held lands” (77) back into
the sphere of Native self-governance.
I am, however, not sold on the idea that ka lāhui
is the best mechanism for self-government, yet.
Appeals made by Dr. Sai and others (i.e.,the Reinstated Hawaiian
Government) are fairly persuasive on their own, and demand earnest examination.
(Aaron C)
(Aaron C)
Aloha and Mahalo for the comment Aaron!
ReplyDeleteOver the years I've developed an interest in the DHHL lands and its management. I feel your frustration also with the program. Two State court cases come to mind. One is Nelson v. HHC. For some real general information on the case, you can go to http://bit.ly/NelsonFAQs This one actually went to the State Supreme Court.
The other case is known as the Kalima case known by its plaintiff named Aunty Leona Kalima. General information from Aunty Leona's attorney regarding the case is available at http://bit.ly/KalimaCaseFAQs
In Nelson, the Court focused on whether the State was required to provide certain levels of funding. In summary, the state attempted to argue that, that legislative funding was discretionary (if I recall correctly) and a political question and therefore taking the case out of the Court's reach. Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation (NHLC) however, argued that the Constitution was on their side and that as a result of a change in language from the 1978 Constitutional Convention, Convention delegates removed the "discretionary" language that was previously in the law and replaced it with a requirement to provide funding.
You may (or may not) be interested in both cases, but the issue of DHHL funding is something that needs to be addressed in various ways. One way that DHHL has been trying to address is it through commercial leases.
Derek