Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Colonial Mimicry


Throughout this book, I kept thinking about Homi Bhabha’s concept of colonial mimicry.  Mimicry is a technique of disrupting the colonizers ambitions of creating identity by imitating it. This in turn acts inversely to the goals of the colonizer by posing a threat “to both normalized knowledge and disciplinary powers.” I have always been surprised at the different ways that colonized peoples transform the religions imposed on them, sometimes to an almost unrecognizable point.  I think Diaz talks about the Chamorro characteristics to Catholicism, but what exactly does this Catholicism look like?  How similar/different is it from the ‘pure’ Spanish Catholicism?  The quote that Heather posted by an elder stating that the “Spaniard belongs to us and is ours” is telling and leads me to think that perhaps this adoption and subsequent ‘Nativizing’ of the Catholic religion is a form of mimicry Bhabha refers to?

No comments:

Post a Comment