A blog for members of the POLS 620 course during Fall 2012.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Repositioning the Missionary
In chapter 5, Diaz talks about how San Vitores learned Chamorro "'with such facility and in such a short time' that his companions deemed it the work of the Holy Spirit (160)." I thought this was interesting and wondered if Hawaiian probably thought the same for the missionaries that came to Hawaiʻi. Linguistically however, I feel that the language was easier to learn 1) because these missionaries are on a mission to teach, and they cant get their message across if they can't communicate to people, and 2) after being immersed in a society that speaks completely in a different language, one better acquires that language.
I also thought about translation and the linguistic, as well as cultural, complications therein while continuing to page 161, where Diaz shares how certain terms were translated and interpreted in different ways. This made me think of how translation in and out of Hawaiian today causes problematic situations of communication.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment